The third instalment to the Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder rivalry could be happening outside of the United States and United Kingdom, as per a recent report from Boxing Scene.
In the first fight, the heavyweight rivals fought to a controversial split draw, with Fury dominating the early rounds before Wilder made a late rally, scoring a pair of knockdowns in the closing stage.
Last February, the pair tussled in their much-awaited rematch in Las Vegas, with the WBC, Ring, and lineal heavyweight titles on the line.
But this time, the fight was one-sided.
Fury came out with all guns blazing as he dominated the American through seven rounds en route to a technical knockout win.
‘The Gypsy King’ ended Wilder’s five-year reign as the WBC heavyweight king while giving him the first defeat of his boxing career.
Looking to bounce back from this stunning loss, Wilder exercised his right to an immediate rematch and vowed to come back stronger like ‘a phoenix rising from the ashes.’
— Daily Trust (@daily_trust) February 23, 2020
The trilogy fight was scheduled for this summer in Las Vegas but it was postponed due to the global pandemic. Now, Top Rank’s Bob Arum told Boxing Scene there are business entities from two countries that are willing to host the blockbuster heavyweight fight.
Arum also said the title fight is likely to take place in the last quarter of the year.
“We have proposals from entities in two countries that we’re considering now,” he said.
“And when they become more concrete, which will probably be in the next week or two weeks, we’ll run them by the PBC people because, after all, they’re our partners in that promotion.”
“And hopefully then we’ll make an announcement. Right now, we’re looking to do that fight in the fourth quarter of the year and we’re probably gonna be doing it outside of the United States and outside of the United Kingdom.”
Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder set to be held outside America later this year https://t.co/Elke9PVzGY
— Y3sports (@y3sports) May 20, 2020
The Fury vs Wilder 2 grossed more than $16 million in terms of ticket sales, when it went down at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Nevada earlier this year.
While most upcoming sports events are expected to be held behind closed doors, Arum said they cannot afford to stage the trilogy fight without spectators.
“You can’t do that event without making up for the $17 million in gate revenue that you would otherwise lose. You can’t do it.”
— Big Fight Weekend (@bigfightweekend) May 19, 2020
(Featured Image Source: Instagram/ Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury)