Former UFC two-division champion Henry Cejudo has dismissed the possibilities of a potential comeback as he reiterated he has retired from fighting.
Cejudo shocked the MMA world at UFC 249 earlier this month when he announced his retirement after defending his bantamweight belt against the returning Dominick Cruz.
Returning from an 11-month hiatus, he showed no signs of rust to score a second-round stoppage win against the former champion.
“I’m happy with my career. I’ve done enough in the sport. I want to walk away and enjoy myself. I’m 33 years old. I have a girl now, watching me from back home,” he told Joe Rogan.
“Since I was 11, I’ve sacrificed my life to get to where I was tonight. I’m retiring tonight. Uncle Dana [UFC president Dana White], thank you. Everybody here, thank you so much.”
Cejudo has called it quits while he is on top of the world, capping off his career with an impressive six-fight winning streaks while being the second fighter to have successfully defended two UFC belts.
Henry Cejudo seems to be done in the UFC, but not before racking up a nice net worth. https://t.co/8lrweyRy65
— Sportscastingdotcom (@Sportscasting19) May 26, 2020
The UFC has removed Cejudo in the official rankings while the bantamweight championship has been vacated but his manager recently said the former Olympic gold medalist could make a return this summer.
Cejudo, meanwhile, said he will only return if the UFC sets him up to a fight with current featherweight titlist, Alexander Volkanovski.
Taking to Twitter on Tuesday, ‘Triple C’ reiterated he will never compete again.
“Thank you for the awesome experiences uncle Dana White. I will forever be grateful. Thank you for taking a chance on the sport that people thought would never make it. To all my coaches and fans it been a wonderful ride. Triple C is out. #retiredontop” he said.
Thank you for the awesome experiences uncle @danawhite I will forever be grateful. Thank you for taking a chance on the sport that people thought would never make it. To all my coaches and fans it been a wonderful ride. Triple C is out 🎤 #retiredontop pic.twitter.com/ZoHa3asoDU
— Henry Cejudo (@HenryCejudo) May 25, 2020
A Welcome Decision
Cejudo salvaged the flyweight class from the brink of its demise when he pulled off an upset against the flyweight GOAT, Demetrious Johnson, in August 2018.
Months later, he defeated TJ Dillashaw in 33 seconds to defend the flyweight strap but was forced to vacate the title in December 2019 due to inactivity.
“It really didn’t shock me. Cejudo has been talking about retirement to us for months. I’m of the belief that if you’re talking about retirement in the fight business, you should probably retire,” UFC president Dana White said as he welcomed Cejudo’s decision to hang up his gloves.
— Henry Cejudo (@HenryCejudo) May 11, 2020
(Featured Image Source: Instagram/ Henry Cejudo)