Nate Diaz has confirmed he was not in Miami when a case of domestic violence happened this week.
On Wednesday, news website Miami Herald reported that the UFC welterweight star was involved in a recent domestic violence incident, claiming that Diaz had been arrested and hospitalized after an altercation with cops in a Miami police station.
Following the false report, Diaz’s representative, Zach Rosenfield, issued a statement, denying the allegations and labeling the story ‘baseless’ and ‘completely wrong.
“The story printed by the Miami Herald is 100% false, inaccurate, baseless, irresponsible and utter nonsense,” Rosenfield said while speaking to ESPN’s Ariel Helwani.
“Miami Herald has since pulled down the story. We demand an apology and have already have begun exploring legal action.”
“This story is absolutely not accurate. Nate has been home from the Super Bowl for over a week.”
“This is not him. This is story is completely wrong.”
“Nate has been in Stockton since the Tuesday after the Super Bowl and at no point did he have any interactions with Miami law enforcement.”
“Zero issues whatsoever. And he has never been attached to anything close to domestic violence in his life.”
Typical Nate Diaz
Later on, it was found out that it was Michael Albert Nates, a former pro MMA fighter, who was involved in the case as the news site retracted its report.
“In an initial version of this story, the Miami Herald incorrectly reported that mixed martial arts superstar Nate Diaz had been arrested in a domestic-violence case.”
“The Herald apologizes for the error,” the news site wrote in a Twitter post.
Two days after the blunder, the 34-year old welterweight reacted to the news in a very Nate Diaz way.
See it below:
Since returning to the competition, the Stockton fighter has gone 1-1 in the UFC as he defeated Anthony Pettis last summer before losing to Jorge Masvidal by way of doctor stoppage in November, with the ‘baddest motherf***er’ title on the line.
For his next fight, Diaz said ”I want to watch what happens in the next few months” before making his next move.
Most recently, he is being linked to a potential showdown with former interim lightweight champion Dustin Poirier.
“I spoke to [UFC matchmaker] Sean [Shelby] last night. I know that they offered him the fight either in California in May, or International Fight Week [in Las Vegas in July],” Poirier told MMA Junkie.
“We’ll see if he takes it. The offer is out there.”
(Featured Image Source: Instagram/ Nate Diaz)